Monday, July 20, 2009

More training and the 4th of July

July 4, 2009

Over 200 years ago, inhabitants of the Colonies decided to step into the unknown in order to fight tyranny, oppression, and taxation without representation. Having been under Britain rule since its inception, this was a bold step for a collection of young colonies who knew no other way of life. As the authors of the Declaration of Independence wrote (and I’m paraphrasing - didn’t bring my copy with me): People will often choose to stay in miserable circumstances rather than risk the unknown. It takes ALOT for people to step away from what they know-no matter how miserable- and step into that unknown. It’s not something that is done on a whim or taken lightly, but with great consideration for the consequences.
This is my favorite part of the Declaration because it not only applies to the separation from Great Britain, but also everyday life in general. How often are we unhappy about something, but also so used to our circumstances that to change and risk the unknown is more terrifying than staying miserable?

I just thought I’d share my 4th of July with yall. We actually celebrated the 4th on the 3rd of July. Every year there is a huge cookout at the U.S. Embassy in Paraguay. It is NICE!!!!! I think it’s one of the biggest in this neck of the woods. It was weird because it was like stepping back into North America right in the midst of Paraguay. There were red, white, and blue banners strung up everywhere, and hamburgers, hotdogs, and other tasty treats. It was nice meeting current Volunteers; both who I have and haven’t met before. I met this other dude who is from Mississippi! Finally, someone else from the Old South! We talked about growing up Black in the Old South and the misperceptions that are played out in movies about it. We both agreed that we wouldn’t have wanted to be raised in any other place.

Eventually I ventured away from the party and strolled the grounds a bit until coming to this gazebo with historic pictures. I thought the pictures were really profound and provided a good representation of some key moments in our history-how far we’ve come, but how far we have left to go. With that said, please know that while I’m far from my country, it’s never far from me.

Below are some pics of a rotunda that I found while strolling the Embassy grounds. The pics show some key historic moments in our country`s history.
















July 13 - 17, 2009

Okay so we just got back from our Long Field Practice (LFP). LFP is where we split up into smaller groups and travel to a Volunteer’s site and stay for a week. The purpose of this little trip is to see firsthand what the life of a Volunteer is like, what their living situation is like, how they interact with their communities, and the type of projects they do. During the week, each Trainee stay with families in the community that have agreed to provide us with room and board for the week.

Our group traveled to Villa Florida. It is really, really nice. It’s a tourist town with a little beach and everything; and its right on the ruta so it’s super easy to get in and out. I stayed with a woman and her mom and they own a hotel (what we would think of as a motel), but they also lived in the motel too, so it was really interesting. I had my meals in the hotel restaurant;) The town is super tranquillo and very quiet. At certain times it was like a ghost town, and we were like, “Where is everyone!” And even though the schools were on vacation, we didn’t see a bunch of kids running around in the streets, which I loved! With such a small town, it was very easy to get to know everyone; but of course because it’s such a small town, they knew about us before we even got there! They also knew about a um..little accident I had. So I took a little tumble in a little puddle and had to hand wash my shoes and pants. I was okay, but EVERYONE in the community knew that I had fallen, and that night at one of the other girl’s house, her host mom kept asking me if I was okay and if I needed anything (like a hug). So yeah, that’s what happened.




So we did a variety of activities during the week. For example, the volunteer had already arranged a Career Fair, so we attended that and helped set up the tables. We went to a dedication. The governor had approved funds for a pipeline so he came out with the mayor and they gave a little speech with the mayor giving a shout out to us, and they took pics with the pipes. We also saw how plans can fall through, especially when it rains. Everything comes to a halt when it rains! But all in all, I enjoyed the week and it really made me look forward to becoming a Volunteer.


So here are a few of my observations:

-Paraguayans are really friendly and welcoming for the most part. And they are quick to tell you about their country and city. They are also curious about what you’re doing there.

-There’s not a lot of diversity in Paraguay. And most people have never left the country, and some have not left the area where they live. So when they see someone who looks different, they will stare and have no shame about staring. That’s one of the things that I’ve really had to adjust to because in the States, staring is considered rude. But here, people do it openly and even when you catch them staring they’ll keep staring. IRRITATING!! But I can live with it. Also, since Paraguay is so close to Brazil, the only reference Paraguayans have to Black folks is through Brazil. So when they see a Black person, they automatically assumes that you are Brazilian. It’s not uncommon to hear, “Brasilena” (Brazilian). And if I’m being introduced with other Trainees who are White, and they introduce us as being from the United States, the Paraguayans will be like, “ALL of you?” while looking at me. Because to them, a North American is White. And I know that that’s apart of Peace Corps’ mission, the interchange of cultures, but sometimes it really gets to me to have where I’m from (and in essence who I am) questioned over and over and over again. On the plus side, someone did call me Obama’s sister...lmaolmao....so I can live with THAT.

-Paraguayans have this strange mixture of bluntness and indirectness. For instance, if you’re inviting to something and you don’t want to go, then it’s acceptable to say “Puede ser” (maybe) and both of you will know that really means “No”. However, Paraguayans will not hesitate to call you fat and not even think that it’s rude. During the LFP, I calculate I was called fat approximately 3 times (that I’m aware of). And they will say it in a joking manner, and not think anything of it. I read the blogs before I arrived in country, so I was expecting it somewhat, but when it happens, it’s like “WHAM-did s/he just say what I think they said, did I translate that right?!” And it’s even worse when you’re standing in a group of other trainees b/c then it’s awkward because we’ve been socialized that it’s rude to call someone fat, so everyone will just kinda go on like they didn’t hear the comment, but we all know everyone heard it. lol.

-Paraguayans don’t understand the concept of vegetarianism. Although I’m not a vegetarian (yet), I don’t eat red meat. My host family knows that and usually they’re good about remembering that. However, while I was on the LFP, I told the women that I didn’t eat red meat, they said, “Oh okay”. but then the next day (and the day after), they fix meals with meat in them. In our LFP group, there were two who were vegetarians, then I don’t eat red meat, and the fourth girl is “normal” meaning she eats all types of meat. So one day, one of the vegs and I were talking and decided that when you tell Paraguayans that you don’t eat meat, that concept is so foreign to them that they think you mean you don’t eat meat the way it’s prepared today, but tomorrow with it prepared a different way, you’ll probably eat it. But normally when I get a dish with meat, I just eat around it because they’ll been so nice and welcoming that I really don’t want them to go through the extra trouble to switch their whole menu around. And I really don’t have to have meat of any type with my meals.

Which brings me to a new revelation; I’ve decided that I will be a vegetarian while in the Peace Corps. I’ve never been a big meat person anyway so it’s not going to be hard. Also, if they handled meat in the States the way they handle it here, serious heads would be rolling at the FDA. I mean I’ve seen slabs of meat hanging out in open air (not cold air), with flies buzzing around it and the blood just dripping. Uh no thanks! That’s not so say that you’ll get sick from eating the meat, I just hate that every time I eat a piece of chicken, I’m thinking if this will have me on the toilet for a week. Plus, since Soy is Paraguay’s number 1 export but most paraguayans don’t touch the stuff, it is dirt cheap here (way cheaper than meat). However, I will have to wait until I get to my site to reinvent myself into a veg because it’ll just confuse my host family. And I’ve come up with what I’m going to say when people ask me why don’t I eat meat, “My doctor told me to stay away from it because it irritates my stomach.” If nothing else, Paraguayans respect doctor’s orders.
So what’s next? Well, next week we have our final Dia De Practica; so that means whatever our project is, whether it’s a charla(presentation) or whatever, we need to complete it this week. My partner and I was going to give a charla to some kids at the school about civic participation. But we learned yesterday that their vacation will be a week longer because of the Swine Flu (our doctors are keeping a close eye on that by the way). So we are probably going to have to round up a few kids in the neighborhood and make the presentation to them.

Also, the following week (week 9), we find out where our future sites will be (where we’ll be for the next two years!)

No comments: